Last Updated on February 19, 2022 by Alexander A. Smith
Added to the central heating and cooling system, thermostats are great for doing your job of balancing the overall temperature of your house. However, setting a Honeywell thermostat can be a pain too! As there is a lot of models, here we have tried to cover almost all the models so that you can learn how to set a Honeywell thermostat regardless of the model!
Table Of Contents
Manual Honeywell Thermostats
When you are dealing with a thermostat by Honeywell, you have to check the models. The manual models by Honeywell are a bit different than the ones we find these days with programmable features. In these manual models, the setting process will be a bit different. Let’s learn how to set old Honeywell thermostat after buying it!
- To set the Honeywell thermostat manual models, you have to search for a dial on the thermostat’s body. Once you find it, you have to move it. Either you will go for raising the temperature setting or you have to lower it by fixing the dial. To raise the temperature, turn it clockwise. On the other hand, to lower it, you have to go toward an anti-clockwise direction.
- In the case of these manual models, you have to check the upper left part of these thermostats. On that part, you will get to see the different modes of the thermostat. There are options like Cool, Heat along with the option OFF. These options will help you set your Honeywell thermostat on either Cool or Hot. Also, you can switch off the thermostat in this manner.
- Some of the Honeywell models that are manual also will include the FAN switch added in this part. There are options to settle the fan in Auto mode along with the ON mode. If you set your fan to Auto mode, the fan will start working with the heating is on. It will also work when the air conditioning will be switched on. Any of these should be switched on for the fan to work.
- However, the ON mode for the fan is not like this. If you set your fan on the ON mode, the fan will keep running constantly. The air conditioning of the thermostat or the heating doesn’t require to be switched on for the fan to work. It can work on its own.
Non Programmable Thermostats vs. Programmable Thermostats by Honeywell
Well, we have discussed the manual thermostats by the brand. If you don’t have the manual one, you have to take a look at the model you have. Some people think that either it is a manual thermostat or a programmable. But there are no-programmable thermostats by Honeywell too. Here, we will discuss both of these methods so that you can learn how to set them
Setting Programmable Honeywell Thermostats
The thermostats these days are mostly programmable. And with these, you do not need to go through the settings again and again and set them every day. The best part is you can work with the settings and set a schedule.
And with this schedule, you can easily go for an automatic schedule for the thermostat. No matter it is heating or cooling, you can simply for a seven-day schedule so that the thermostats do their work even if you are not there to instruct it! In the case of the kids’ room, this one can help you a lot when you are office or on a tour.
With this one, you can simply change the temperature at night even though you are not at home. This method is highly effective if you want to save the energy costs of heating or cooling. In some models, you can settle for the advanced smart thermostats that have multiple control options added.
- Most of the Honeywell programmable thermostats have four different periods every day. With these, you can choose specific temperatures. If you are going through the summer season, settle for the lower temperature. It will provide you with a cool temperature for the night.
On the day, you can go for the warmer temperature. In the evening, you can simply settle for a moderate temperature. With these four different periods, you are free to set the temperature depending on what you are doing or what time it is.
Let’s learn how to set these four periods and know how to set a Honeywell thermostat for heat or cool options.
- First of all, you have to get your hands on the SYSTEM. And then, with this option, get into setting the thermostat to either HEAT or COOL depending on your preference.
- Once you have selected one, you have to settle for the SET button added there. You will find this on the left of your display. After hitting it, another tab SET SCHEDULE will appear before you.
- Now, you are free to set the time for when the thermostat will work and how it will work. There is a WAKE period available. Go through the up and down buttons and set the WAKE period. Then press SET and you now get to select LEAVE, RETURN and SLEEP one by one so that you can customize the timing. Set all of these and after each, you have to press SET.
- After you are all set, you have to override your settings temporarily. All you need is to go through the up and down buttons so that you can adjust the temperature of your choice. The temperature you have set now will be set. Your Honeywell thermostat will work like this throughout the period. You have to set it once again when the next schedule period arrives.
- But what should you do if you are on a tour? If the A/C is switched off throughout the day during the holiday, do you need to reprogram the entire week for temporary plan changes? Well no! This is when you can work with the Honeywell thermostat set HOLD RUN buttons. Go for HOLD for locking the temperature. When you are home, simply press RUN to get back again!
NOTE: You can also have some programmable Honeywell thermostats that have 5-2 or 2-1-1 configurations. These also run in the same manner and you can set it the same way. However, you have to set the times for the weekend days here.
The buttons will be a bit different, but almost all the previously mentioned buttons are available. Here, you will see a SET button on the thermostat. In other cases, for the touchscreen ones, you will see a SETTINGS option. Go through the on-screen prompts and you can do it on your own.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat
Some of the thermostats by the brand have smart facilities. Just like the Honeywell RHT9585WF1004, there are programmable Wi-Fi Honeywell thermostats available. The programming here is done via the touchscreen option. Or you can use the app for customizing and using this thermostat.
- Go through the thermostat and press the SETTINGS option available at the top. There, settle for CREATE/EDIT Settings. This will get you into several options. Here, you can go for VIEW/EDIT the current schedule. Here is the way how you can set the Wi-Fi thermostats manually.
- Go through the settings and with the help of the screen, you have to pick up the days you want the thermostats to program. You can both go for setting this one for a day or multiple days.
- Here, you will see a WAKE option available; it will help you start the WAKE MODE. After you have selected the time, you can simply settle for the up and down arrows and then pick up the right temperature. Just like before, you have to set the RETURN, LEAVE and SLEEP options and set them. Now, check the Fan Settings and adjust it.
- There are options for additional days. Also, you can repeat the process for certain days too! If you want to remove the programmed periods, all you need is to go for the DELETE PERIOD option. Once you are done, you have to press DONE. All your changes are saved!
Setting Honeywell Non-Programmable Thermostats
For some thermostats, you have to change the temperature manually. The Honeywell 5000 is a basic digital thermostat like this which is non-programmable. These will let you set one temperature on the thermostat for cooling and heating.
- First of all, you have to go for any button on the thermostat. Pressing any button will backlight the screen of the device. Then, you have to search for the FAN button or the FAN switch. Go through it and check the AUTO mode and ON mode. Select according to your preference.
- After this, you have to go for the option named SYSTEM. Press this one and you can change the temperature. You can go for Heat and Cool here. Along with this, you can settle for keeping it OFF too. Pushing the button again will change the settings for you. Keep your eyes on the screen, it will be enough.
- Now, check the right part of the display of your device. There will be two arrow buttons available, one UP and one DOWN. With these, you can simply change the temperature of your device. Go for a cooler or hotter temperature by pressing the menu. Go for it and settle for low or high temperature and you are done!
How to Program a Honeywell Thermostat
Yes, there are several models of Honeywell Thermostats available in the market and you cannot deal with them if you don’t know the specific method of working with them. However, all of the models have similarities. We have covered almost all of them. Or you can check the online manual too!